Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Google Chrome Browser - I Tried, Really I Did!

For the past 3 months I have almost exclusively used Chrome as the browser.  I did have a few things I liked about it, but really the annoyances are too much!  (Sorry, +Les JenkinsEarlier, I posted that Chrome was riddled with bugs and not ready for full use as a replacement for IE.  Meanwhile I have exclusively (almost but I'll explain in a bit) been using Firefox for years.

Chrome, Almost

With Chrome, I have been using it for a variety of web sites.  Here is what I experienced:
  • Google Calendar - They seem to have fixed whatever issues I had from my earlier post
  • Google Voice - Still fussy - basically what would happen is a) on drop-down lists it would not let me pick a value from the list unless I arrow down and press Enter on the keyboard.  Now, that seems to work, but after a while of keeping the Voice page open, making calls says it is working, but it doesn't connect unless I close out the tab page and re-open it.
  • Facebook - OK, I admit Facebook must hire the cheapest programmers, because their iOS and web apps SUCK SUCK SUCK.  They are horrible.  Even though, I have had pretty good reliability with it on Firefox.  On Chrome, it just hangs the whole tab and I have to close it out.
  • Many of our corporate sites that work great with Firefox, I have strange Chrome issues:
    • Won't display login or registration forms correctly
    • Won't display all the elements of web pages
  • Sites authored to work with Internet Explorer, like some of my corporate sites, of course have issues.  So, I use the IE Tab plug-in for those.

Firefox, Almost

So, when I say almost with Firefox, what I mean is, it works on EVERY site, except:
  • Sites authored to work with Internet Explorer, like some of my corporate sites, of course have issues.  So, I use the IE Tab plug-in for those.
What bugs me the most about Firefox?
  • It isn't really that fast any more - Chrome is definitely faster on Windows 7, Mac OS X, and about the same on Ubuntu Linux.
  • Constant updates - it is constantly downloading updates, restarting the browser, and checking plug-in compatibility.  Annoying.
  • No iOS browser!  The Chrome iOS is really good, I especially like the way it handles tabs.
However, I think I can handle the peeves with Firefox.  I cannot handle the constant crashing, not handling input fields and page rendering, and the general flakiness of Chrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment